Brandon_5 copy

Hello everyone I’m back with another segment on what I have been working on lately. I was speaking with a friend and we got on the topic of how Mulg is hard to fit into melee a lot of the time due to his pose. Eventually we came to an agreement for me to convert a more dynamic pose for Mulg.

Starting with his current Mulg and an Earhborn Dire Troll (EBDT) I ordered a Cryx heavy warjack wreck marker for the project, and put the two heavies into a can of lacquer thinner to get them cleaned up. After they were stripped and the wreck marker came in I tore them apart and cleaned them. After taking inventory of what pieces would be used from the two beasts I started sawing off the chunks for my Frankenstein’s creation.
04-23-16 026
I began to work on making the joints fit together in the way that would allow me to pose the model the way I wanted to. The arms were particularly annoying as I had to repeatedly saw them to adjust the angles at which the arms meet the torso. Normally you can just get them close and then fill the gaps with green stuff, but on this project the arms specifically the right one would not only have a lot of leverage applied to it but would have weight as well so I needed as good of contact point as I could get. After  3-4 rounds of sawing on both arms I managed to get them to line up the way I wanted.
04-23-16 028
04-23-16 032-min
04-23-16 031-min
Now it was time to start on the lower Body. Using only the EBDT for the lower body made it easier as there was little to no conversion needed, but with the desired pose the Mulg parts were all but useless.
04-23-16 033-min
Next I start adding the models most identifiable feature, Mulg’s big stick. Wanting to make it the big focal points for the model I used lots of pins and the wreck marker. Also I made Mulg right handed.
04-23-16 027-min
04-23-16 045-min
04-23-16 044-min
04-23-16 046-min
I use multiple pins in the hand to keep it from rotating around the large pin. Which would prevent the model form basically turning into a top and spinning on the base. Next came attaching the head and fitting on the back piece.
04-23-16 036-min
04-23-16 039-min
04-23-16 040-min
04-23-16 040-min
04-23-16 041-min
04-23-16 042-min
Luckily the back rock piece settled perfectly onto the already existing rocks of the EBDT torso. If not I would have had to grind it down with a Dremel tool, I very much did not want to do that. Next came my least favorite part, green stuffing all the gaps around the model and then sculpting the rocks to blend the back to the rest of the torso. I basically just tore of small chunks of green stuff and pressed them between 3-5 fingers to make randomly shaped wedges. The hard part was smoothing them to remove the fingerprints and then attaching them to the model without deforming them. This took multiple sittings for the rocks as I hate sculpting. If you ever commission me to do anything keep in mind I charge a lot extra for sculpting.
04-23-16 134-min
04-23-16 135-min
04-23-16 136-min
04-23-16 137-min
04-23-16 138-min
It was very important that the model be balanced. It would have defeated the point of making a model if the damn thing fell over and broke everything when you tried to play with it.
04-23-16 139-min
Despite being VERY top heavy it can survive a little tipping without falling over.
04-23-16 140-min
Finally I have included some side by side shots for size comparison. I believe that Mr. Mulg is a big boy.
04-23-16 142-min
04-23-16 141-min
I hope you enjoyed this article.

Brandon aka. Mutilus